Ouya Review / First Impressions

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Well this finally came in the mail today. Haven't really been too excited about it, but it is what it is. I have it hooked up to my laptop's HDMI input because I'm too lazy to pull that tv center out and hook it that way.

DSC_0007.jpg
Basically it just an android operating system on a small console. Nothing fancy here. It took a few minutes before my laptop would even see the HDMI connection coming from the thing, to the point I thought maybe the OUYA was broken. Once it got to setup, the wireless connection took 3 or 4 tries before it stopped throwing up and errors and actually connected - the WiFi router was only 7 feet away. The menus also seem to lag and be generally slow. Regardless, once all that was done, I went and downloaded my first game.

DSC_0010.jpg
Which is Final Fantasy 3, which seems to be a port of the DS remake. This download was free so I assume there is some limitation at some point although it's not clear where as it didn't list it. Full game is $15.

DSC_0014.jpg
The controller feels "cheap" and when it came, one of the controller pieces was falling off the controller. Maybe it is supposed to be like that to show you the plates come off? Either way, the plates coming off means that all the face buttons have a tendency to get stuck under that same plate. COOL.

The controller feels better than most 3rd party controllers for other systems, but way worse than 1st party ones. Not really unsurprising. The touchpad is ok, but I doubt I will use it.

The controller can turn the system on, but doesn't seem to shut off when the system does? So you just have to wait for it to naturally turn off - however long that takes. The controller also takes 2 AA's batteries, so hope you got a pile of those laying around.

DSC_0017.jpg
Kitty watching me use this Ouya from the comfort of the Ouya box.

DSC_0004.jpg
Kitty enjoying the Ouya box more than I am enjoying the Ouya (she still in there 2 hours later).

Overall I have to say this gets a definite MEH from me, but not really disappointed either.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
The kitty that loves belly rubs

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
if i recall, they addressed the issue with the buttons sticking under the controller case for the retail version and said they would be willing to send replacements to backers?

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Seems like it shouldn't have passed QA tho, since it's like one of the first problems I noticed within 5 minutes. I read they were going to fix for retail, but nothing about replacing backers ones. Cool if they do.